|Shares Out. (in M):||53||P/E||43x||28x|
|Market Cap (in $M):||7,420||P/FCF||43x||28x|
|Net Debt (in $M):||-30||EBIT||290||450|
Sign up for free guest access to view investment idea with a 45 days delay.
Thesis: NFLX is a potential horse that is in the process of becoming the dominant online rental streaming service. NFLX could earn $10-15/share over the next 3 years vs consensus expectations of ~$5-7/share. This implies you are creating the dominant online streaming service for 9-15x eps with potential for additional upside to these #s.
Analogy: Premium Cable Channels: They offer a combination of original production and movie content (their movie content has a window of a few months after premiering on VOD) and generate monthly subscription fees through cable/satellite MSOs. HBO has ~30m+ subs and 30% EBIT margins. Now that NFLX has competitive content to HBO while also offering the content through a much better digital streaming solution, it has expanded its potential TAM penetration to be in line with or greater than HBO.
1) Incorrect Framing of the TAM: The Epix deal was a game changer for NFLX. They now offer a true competitive alternative to HBO and a superior offering to the other premium cable channels for a cheaper price. This should allow NFLX to achieve similar (if not better) scale to HBO of ~30m+ subs. 2) Dominant Digital Streaming Service: NFLX has the best digital streaming product in the market today that allows consumers to watch movies/tv shows from a variety of devices and at a lower price/unit than any digital competitor. As NFLX continues to grow and reinvest additional profitability into additional content, their advantage continues to grow stronger.
3) Margin Expansion: NFLX is currently in a virtuous circle of experiencing an improving value proposition, improving key metrics, rapidly growing subs and physical to digital transition of its sub base which drives margin expansion. This has driven an increase in EBIT margins from 10% to 14.5% while also allowing NFLX to reinvest in digital content. As NFLX product is now competitive with HBO, they should be able to grow their sub base more in line with HBO and achieve similar ebit margins closer to 30% as they achieve that scale.
4) Valuation: Assuming NFLX can achieve HBO economics, it trades at ~10x 2012/13E EPS.
1) Superior Value Proposition: NFLX has competitive content to HBO with better digital distribution for a cheaper price. It also has superior content to other premium cable channels for a cheaper price.
a. Premium cable channels: Content includes: 1) original production + 2) movie studio content with a 3 month window post VOD and distribution is primarily through cable/satellite MSOs.
i. HBO: Content includes: 1) original production + 2) movies from Universal, Time Warner, New Line, Fox and select Dreamworks content for ~$8-15/month (depending on MSO provider and if its bundled).
ii. Showtime: Content includes: 1) origination production + 2) movies from Summitt, Weinstein Co and select Dreamworks content for ~$7-13/month (depending on MSO provider and if its bundled)
iii. Starz: Content includes: 1) origination production + 2) movies from Sony and Disney for ~$7-13/month (depending on MSO provider and if its bundled).
iv. Epix: Content includes movies from Paramount, MGM and Lionsgate for $10/month.
b. NFLX: Content includes: 1) digital content from Starz, Epix (3 month window), Relativity Media + 2) several cable TV shows digitally + 3) back catalogue original production from premium cable channels digitally + 4) digital catalogue content from several studios + 5) DVD by mail content + 6) digital content is distributed via streaming over multiple devices all for ~$9/month.
2) Dominant Digital Streaming Service: NFLX is transforming its business model into the dominant streaming service with high quality content and the best viewing experience at the lowest price.
i. NFLX currently has the best digital streaming product in the market and continues to reinvest additional profitability back into additional streaming content.
ii. This is a very reflexive dynamic where the bigger NFLX gets, the more content it can buy and the more content it buys, the greater TAM penetration they are likely to achieve.
3) 2-3x Potential: NFLX is currently a $7.5b market cap that could be a $15-20b market cap in the next 3yrs as EPS increases from ~$3.30 in 2010E to $10-15 in 2012/13E.
a. TAM Penetration: NFLX TAM is the 100m+ cable/satellite HHs in the US. Given its competitive/superior value proposition to HBO, achieving 30-40% penetration seems reasonable (vs 30% for HBO). NFLX currently has 25%+ HH penetration in its first market in the Bay Area, up from 20% a year ago.
b. Margin Expansion: As NFLX continues to improve its value proposition and strengthens its competitive moat, SAC/churn should continue to decline. As an example, SAC has declined by 25% over the past 2yrs and churn has declined by ~20-50bps despite the massive growth in gross sub adds. As customers switch from physical to digital consumption, NFLX will have up to $800m of COGS savings (postage + physical dvd content). And as customers grow, NFLX will be able to leverage its increasingly fixed cost base. In the next few years, there could be $800m-1.5b+ of EBIT growth ($10-20 in EPS) that will be reinvested in new content while also driving margin expansion. This could be a bumpy transition though as they may have to pay for chunks of content upfront and the physical to digital transition could take longer than expected, causing a temporary hit to margins.
c. Additional Upside: Additional upside could come from: 1) pricing power as NFLX reinforces its place as the #1 digital streaming service and/or 2) replication internationally. NFLX is launching its digital streaming service in Canada later this year and is already in discussions with studios for the Canada launch.
|show sort by|
Are you sure you want to close this position NETFLIX INC?
By closing position, I’m notifying VIC Members that at today’s market price, I no longer am recommending this position.
Are you sure you want to Flag this idea NETFLIX INC for removal?
Flagging an idea indicates that the idea does not meet the standards of the club and you believe it should be removed from the site. Once a threshold has been reached the idea will be removed.
You currently do not have message posting privilages, there are 1 way you can get the privilage.
Apply for or reactivate your full membership
You can apply for full membership by submitting an investment idea of your own. Or if you are in reactivation status, you need to reactivate your full membership.
What is wrong with message, "".